- On September 18th 2013 the coordinator IDAEA-CSIC organized the seminar “Energy and Air Quality” took place in the premises of the Spanish Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Environment, MAGRAMA in Madrid, Spain (see Deliverable D3.1). The AIRUSE representatives Xavier Querol and Mar Viana from IDAEA-CSIC and Celia Alves from UAVR presented the first results of the project concerning biomass burning emissions and air quality.
- On July 10-11th, 2013 the coordinator IDAEA-CSIC organised the workshop “Urban Air Quality: The Challenge of Non-Exhaust Emissions from Traffic” took place in Barcelona, Spain in the premises of the Foundation Biocat. (see Deliverable E3).
- On April 28-29, 2015 the CB organized the workshop “Quantitative methods for evaluating daily contributions of African dust to ambient PMx levels over Europe during dust outbreaks” in Barcelona, Spain.
- On June 14 – 16, 2016 the CB organized a PMF (Positive Matrix Factorization) training course, at the IDAEA-CSIC premises in Barcelona. International experts, including Prof. Philip K. Hopke from Clarkson University, on receptor models and their applications to environmental sciences, offered a comprehensive training course on the use of USEPA PMF 5 program. A total of 50 researchers and environmental technicians assisted to the course.
- on 18-19th April 2016 the CB organized the AIRUSE International Conference that took place in Barcelona. The conference was successful in terms of participation and general output. Carlos de la Paz from the LIFE team opened the conference. Networking with other related LIFE projects (IMPROVE, MEDHISS, DIAPASON, REDUST) and no-LIFE projects (JOAQUIM, CAIMAN, APICE) broadened the discussion on air quality in Europe. Air quality managers from several European countries explained different experiences on the effectiveness of air quality measures (Lisbon, London, Madrid, Stockholm, Paris and Catalonia).
Deliverable D3.2: Proceedings of the International Conference.
- On July 14-19th 2013 associated beneficiary UAVR organized one “Summer Academy”. Students from the 10th to the 12th grades, from secondary schools, had guided tours to various departments. Célia Alves and Luís Tarelho from UAVR received the student groups, exposed the AIRUSE objectives, explained how the biomass combustion facility works and presented the main results already achieved (50 students participated).
- On March 1 – 6th, 2013 partner UAVR ministered two complementary short courses on biomass combustion and sampling of emission from this source.
- On August 2nd, 2013 the scientific manager, A. Karanasiou, visited the associated partner “NCSRD” in Athens, for a 1-day training for the technical staff on the road dust sampling device, designed and developed by the coordinator IDAEA-CSIC
- A training course on state-of-the-art receptor modelling took place in Florence from 9th to 12th September 2013 at the premises of beneficiary UNIFI with the supervision of the coordinator´s representative F. Amato
- On June 17-19, 2013 AB UAVR organized one short course entitled “Sampling of atmospheric aerosols and analysis of their carbonaceous content” in the premises of the University of Aveiro.
- Associated beneficiary UNIFI organized 2 training courses for the technical staff of UAVR and NCSRD on the use of the Streaker sample
- A workshop on the receptor model Positive Matrix Factorization, PMF took place in Barcelona from 13th to 17th October 2014 at the premises of the coordinating beneficiary, CB IDAEA-CSIC. The workshop was organised by the CB in the collaboration of AB UNIFI. During this one-week workshop, 17 AIRUSE members from all partners participated and also representatives from ARPA Lombardia.
Partner NCSRD has prepared the material for the secondary school teacher seminar (Deliverable: Training material for teacher’s seminar). In the proposal it was foreseen to organize 6 teacher´s seminar but 4 seminar were organized due to low participation:
- Teacher’s seminar in N.C.S.R. Athens, February 18–19, 2016 (43 teachers attended)
- Teacher’s seminar in IDAEA-CSIC, Barcelona, January 20-21, 2016 (14 teachers attended)
- Teacher’s seminar in IDAEA-CSIC, Barcelona, July 13-14, 2015 (12 teachers attended)
- Teacher’s seminar in N.C.S.R. Athens, April 8, 2014 (33 teachers attended)