The AIRUSE project (“Testing and Development of air quality mitigation measures in Southern Europe”) expects to achieve a reduction of PM10 and PM2.5 levels, by applying effective air mitigation strategies appropriate for Southern Europe. The mitigation strategies developed will be appropriate for Southern Europe but they could also be adapted by other regions in Europe that can not meet the EU limit values concerning PM concentration levels.
A selection of recent activities within and related AIRUSE project:
- 2015-01-28: Dr. Xavier Querol’s (AIRUSE project leader) was invited to the Catalan Parliament, by the Territory and Sustainability Committee, to answer to a Parliament question: What are the consequences of exceeding the air quality limit values?
- 2014-11-19: The report Air Quality in Europe – 2014 was released. Dr. Xavier Querol, AIRUSE project leader was the European Environment Agency’s ETC/ACM reviewer. The report also mentions as a reference one of AIRUSE’s delivered publications: ‘2001–2012 trends on air quality in Spain‘, in Science of the Total Environment.
- 2014-09-26: The Action Plan for the Improvement of Air Quality (Catalonia) is approved and, at the introduction, mentions AIRUSE proposals that were taken into consideration when drafting the plan.
- 2014-07-31: Campaign to evaluate Calcium Magnesium Acetate to prevent or reduce emissions of PM by resuspension of dust previously deposited on high traffic industrial ways.
- Hoy viernes 21 de marzo a las 18:25 por La 2 de TVE, se emite el programa “¡Más madera!” en el Escarabajo Verde en TVE-2, en el que se hablará de las ventajas e inconvenientes del uso de biomasa como combustible residencial desde el punto de vista climático, económico y de calidad del aire. Con participación del proyecto AIRUSE (Mar Viana). (se repite domingo 23 a las 13:00)
- The coordinator of AIRUSE project, Dr Xavier Querol, was awarded the Jaume-I prize, in recognition of his research and contribution in the environmental field.
- 2013-11-25: AIRUSE presentation: Overview and preliminary results at theFinal Conference of the LIFE+ PM3 project, in Nycosia (Cyprus).
- 2013-11-21/22: an international LIFE+ Platform Meeting on Alternative Future Urban Mobility, organised by the Astrale LIFE monitoring team, was held in cooperation with the current German LIFE project, Clean Air , (LIFE 11 ENV/DE/000495) and the German Federal Environmental Agency (UBA). Xavier Querol participated at the meeting as AIRUSE coordinator, presenting data on the effect of urban mobility on air quality and possible measures to reduce this impact.
- 2013-11-18: Xavier Querol presented AIRUSE project on behalf of the project’s team, in Turin (Italy), at the Kick off meeting of the LIFE MEDHISS project -Mediterranean Health Interview Surveys Studies: long term exposure to air pollution and health surveillance- LIFE12 ENV/IT/000834.
- 2013-09-18: On the 18th of September the seminar “Energy and urban air quality” took place in Madrid at the MAGRAMA. Energy and urban air quality were discussed by AIRUSE members, several national authorities, and representatives of both research institutes and private companies . Follow the discussion trough the available presentations.
- 2013-07-13: B·debate conference “Urban Air Quality: The challenge of non-exhaust road transport emissions” in Barcelona
- 2013-05-10: New campaign to evaluate Calcium Magnesium Acetate to reduce particle pollutants emissions
- 2013-01-14: AIRUSE aerosol measurement campaigns started
- 2013-01-10: AIRUSE collaboration with DIAPASON project – AIRUSE and DIAPASON project will jointly work on the identification of Sahara dust episodes in Southern Europe and conduct aerosol measurement campaigns in Rome, Italy
- 2012-12-18: Meeting with the North Regional Coordination and Development Commission of Portugal – AIRUSE representatives from the University of Aveiro had a meeting with the North Regional Coordination and Development Commission (CCDR-N) of Portugal to discuss the Air Quality Plan of Porto while a questionnaire concerning mitigation measures was filled by the technical staff of CCDR-N.
- 2012-12-13: Meeting at Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Environment
- 2012-12-13: Meeting at Madrid Townhall, Ayuntamiento de Madrid
AIRUSE representatives had a meeting in Madrid Town Hall with the technical staff of the Madrid City Council and the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Environment.
- 2012-12-05: Meeting at the Department of Territory and Sustainability, Generalitat de Catalunya
The objective of the meeting was to start collecting information about the most effective air quality measures in Barcelona, its metropolitan area and Catalonia in general.
- 2012-12-04: Presentation at the National Congress for the Environment
Attendees were invited to participate in AIRUSE in order to select and validate means to improve air quality.
- 2012-12-04: Collaboration with ARPA Lombardia
After the kick-off meeting, AIRUSE announces a collaboration with ARPA Lombardia.